Sunday, June 5, 2011

First "BBQ" of the season

I realize Memorial Day weekend was a whole week ago. Why does it take a whole week to write about what you prepared and ate over the weekend? "What have I been doing all week?" you ask! I was doing "stuff" like I always do. And, unfortunately none of that stuff included a trip to the gym. It was a good thing I made it to yoga all four days over the long weekend. It was great - I felt like I was on a yoga retreat. A rainy yoga retreat but a retreat nonetheless.





We decided to leave straight from the house early Thursday morning. We had some shopping to do on the way up to prepare for the weekend. Thursday night we just had our usual sausage and broccoli rabe for dinner.

Friday, I cooked up some Farro to make a salad for Saturday and made the coleslaw. I love coleslaw this time of year, especially for a BBQ. We were grilling up some pork tenderloins and chicken and I think coleslaw goes great with both.

I put 2 of the pork tenderloins in a marinade before I went to yoga on Saturday morning. (I was wondering if anyone was going to smell the garlic on my hands during class.) The marinade was a simple vinaigrette style made with a lot of chopped garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, thyme & rosemary.

I was originally going to make a farro and avocado salad, but the avocado I bought at the store was still too hard, so that wasn't going to work. (I did however, make the farro and avocado salad later that week and it was delicious. I will do that again.) However, on Thursday night, Dennis brought over the first delivery from his garden which included arugula and radishes. So, I decided to make a farro salad with radishs, some herbs from the garden and some arugula. I also made up a vinaigrette for the rest of the arugula which was also on the menu with some blue cheese. Dennis also brought over a corn salad he "whipped" up during the day - since we all know corn salad takes forever when you are grilling up the corn in their husks to caramelize the kernels.

Joe cooked the pork and chicken on the Webber Kettle in the rain. It was delicious! We marinated 2 pork tenderloins in the vinaigrette I told you about above, and Joe used his BBQ rub on the other 2. All of the chicken went. I think we had one leg left over.

There were 9 of us, so we were spread about the kitchen for dinner - but that's okay - it was still fun. All of the neighbors came, except Joan, who couldn't make it up for the weekend - but that is a whole other story for another night. Let's just leave it at: Joan was being a really, really, really good Mom!

Sunday was spent running errands. We had some gifts we needed to purchase and stopped at a couple of "craft" and pottery shops and actually found everything we were looking for. We then headed over to North Creek because I had seen a bowl, also made by a local potterer, in the store Poiema Home and the Vault. I wanted to go back and buy it. I had been thinking about it for 2 weeks now and decided I should just get it over with and go get it. This store is owned by the same people who own barVino and is right next door, so I am sure you figured out already where we ate dinner on Sunday night.

And, then came Monday. The end of Memorial Day weekend. We ate left-over's, went to bed early, and we were back to work by 9:30 a.m. Tuesday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment